This traditional American dessert, quite similar to a crumble, features apples layered or mixed with the crumb mixture as opposed to simply topped with it. If your family loves crumbles or cobblers, they'll love this as well.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Spread the breadcrumbs onto a large shallow baking tray and toast for 5-6 minutes or until golden. Tip into a bowl, add the melted butter and stir well to coat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the apple slices with the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and half the toasted breadcrumbs. Tip into a well-buttered 1 litre ovenproof dish and then scatter with the rest of the toasted breadcrumbs.
- Grate over a little more nutmeg, cover tightly with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the apple is tender.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden and crisp.
- Serve hot with thick cream.
See more Baking recipes