This delicious roast chicken pie is packed with broccoli, butternut squash, shallots and a creamy tarragon sauce to make a comforting and hearty main.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Toss the squash and shallots with the olive oil. Spread out in a roasting tin and cook for 30 minutes.
- Cook the broccoli in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain, refresh in cold water and drain again.
- Put the stock in a pan with 175ml (6fl oz) water and bring to a gentle simmer. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a separate pan, then stir in the flour to form a paste. Cook for 1 minute, then add the hot stock, a ladle at time, stirring continuously until smooth. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the crème fraîche and tarragon. Season to taste, then add the chicken, broccoli and roasted veg. Divide the mixture between 6 x 150ml (1/4pt) pie dishes.
- Unfurl the pastry and cut into six even pieces to make lids for the pies. Cover each pie dish, leaving a slight overhang to allow for shrinkage. Cut a small hole in the centre of each pie so the steam can escape during baking.
- Combine the egg and milk to make a glaze and brush over the pastry lids. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
See more Pie recipes