Cheesy chorizo and courgette baked rice recipe
This veg-filled courgette and chorizo baked rice recipe is inspired by risotto, but with a whole lot less stirring! Crispy nuggets of chorizo and tender courgette are baked with rice under a melting cheesy topping for a hassle-free dinner idea. See method
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 125g chorizo, skin removed, halved and sliced
- 3 courgettes, halved and sliced
- 300g long-grain rice
- 10g fresh basil, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube, made up to 700ml
- 150g lighter grated Cheddar
White rice can always be swapped for brown (check cooking instructions for timings)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Heat the oil in a deep ovenproof frying pan or casserole dish with a lid over a medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and fry for 5-6 mins until golden and crisp. Stir in the courgettes and fry for another 3-4 mins, stirring frequently, until the courgettes start to soften. Stir in the rice to coat in the oil.
- Pour 600ml stock over the rice in the dish. Stir in the basil, mix well and season with pepper. Cover and place in the oven to bake for 15 mins, then remove the lid, stir briefly and, if the rice is still a little firm and the base of the pan is dry, add the remaining 100ml stock. Scatter over the cheese. Bake for a further 5-10 mins until the rice is tender and the cheese has melted. Serve with the salad alongside.
See more Courgettes recipes