Cherry and cardamom swirls recipe
These simple pastries are seriously stunning and, thanks to plenty of fragrant cardamom, will fill your home with gorgeous aromas. These Scandinavian-inspired bakes may take a little time, but the delicious results are definitely worth it, and best accompanied by a steaming hot cuppa. See method
- 500g crusty white bread mix
- 8 cardamom pods
- 25g caster sugar
- 275g frozen cherries, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 30g unsalted butter
- 50g light muscovado sugar
If you haven't got any white bread, try using brown instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Pour the bread mix into a bowl. Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and crush with a pestle and mortar. Stir half of the crushed seeds into the bread mix, reserving the rest.
- Add 325ml water to the bread mix and mix well with your hands, bringing the dough together before turning out onto a floured surface and kneading for 5 mins, until it is smooth and no longer sticky. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Roll the dough out to a rectangle measuring about 40cm x 24cm, then set aside for 5 mins before sprinkling with the caster sugar and cherries.
- Roll up the dough from the long side to form a log shape, then slice into 12. Put the slices into a 30cm x 20cm tin. It doesn’t matter if they are touching and it’s fine if they spread out into each other during cooking. Leave to stand in the tin, covered with a damp tea towel, for 30 mins. Bake for 25-30 mins, until lightly golden.
- Just before the whirls finish cooking, make the glaze. Put the honey, butter, muscovado sugar and remaining cardamom seeds in a small pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 mins before removing from the heat.
- Remove the swirls from the oven and set aside for 5 mins before spooning over the glaze. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
See more Baking recipes