Chicken fricassee recipe
Chicken fricassée is a delicious French dish, made with tasty chicken thighs and drumsticks, earthy mushrooms and smooth crème fraîche. It's the ultimate midweek indulgence, ready in under 1 hour! See method
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 drumsticks
- 20ml sunflower oil
- 20g butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 100g closed cup mushrooms
- 125ml dry white wine
- 1l light chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 100ml Tesco Healthy Living low-fat crème fraiche
- 1tbsp tarragon, finely chopped
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat the sunflower oil and butter in a large, heavy-based casserole dish over a moderate heat. Season the chicken pieces then sear until golden brown in colour all over. Remove from the dish, then add the onion and garlic and sweat for 3-4 minutes, until they start to soften a little.
- Deglaze the dish with the white wine, scraping the bottom to loosen any debris. Add the stock and mushrooms to the dish and bring to the boil. Return the chicken to the dish along with the bay leaf and rosemary. Cover with a lid and reduce to a simmer for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through with no pink showing.
- Once cooked, stir in the crème fraîche and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Discard the bay leaf and rosemary before serving straight from the dish.
See more French recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.