Beyond houmous, there’s an entire world of delicious chickpea recipes and these herb-studded fritters are among the best. Pan-fried until crispy, served on a bed of rice, drizzled with a smoky-sweet yogurt dressing and scattered with pomegranate seeds, they are a great way to brighten up a dull workday. This healthy lunch idea can even be modified to make it dairy-free and gluten-free.
- To make the yogurt dressing, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, until tender, then set aside in a warm place.
- While the rice is cooking, put half the chickpeas, the spring onion and most of the parsley and coriander into a food processor and blitz to grind down. Add the milk, eggs, flour, cumin and a pinch salt and blitz just until smooth. Stir in the remaining whole chickpeas.
- Put 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, nonstick frying pan and set over a medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, but not smoking, add 2 tbsp of batter for each fritter and shape into small rounds in the pan. Fry in batches, for 3 mins on each side, or until golden-brown and cooked through.
- Stir 2 tbsp olive oil and the remaining parsley through the rice, season to taste and spoon onto a serving platter. Pile the fritters on top of the rice, scatter over the remaining coriander and the pomegranate seeds and drizzle over most of the yogurt dressing, serving the rest in a bowl alongside.
See more Healthy lunch recipes