Don't let the beetroot fool you - this deliciously chocolatey cake is rich, indulgent, and totally irresistible. Whethe for a celebration or as an afternoon treat, this moist chocolate sponge with buttercream and chocolate icing is perfection.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Grease and line 2 x 20cm (8in) cake tins with non-stick baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of shallow, simmering water. Stir in the cocoa powder, until completely smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric whisk, until stiff peaks form. Stir the egg yolks, sugar and beetroot into the chocolate mixture. Gently fold a third of the chocolate mixture into the egg whites, then fold in the remaining chocolate mixture, being careful not to knock the air out.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently fold through the batter. Divide the batter between the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for 15 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream. Mix the cocoa with 3 tbsp hot water to make a paste. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and icing sugar, until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate paste and continue beating, until combined.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm (3/4in) round nozzle. Pipe the buttercream over one cake. Chill for 15 minutes, while you make the icing. Put the chocolate, cream and golden syrup in a small pan over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and glossy. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and transfer to a serving plate. Position the second sponge over the buttercream. Using a palette knife, spread the icing over the cake covering the surface in a thick layer (some may dribble over the edges). Leave to set for 30 minutes, before serving.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.