Chocolate cupcakes recipe
This decadent chocolate cupcake recipe is the perfect easy bake for a chocolate-lover. With a towering swirl of chocolate buttercream on top of fluffy chocolate sponge, they are the perfect treat for a party, bake sale, or just to have with a cup of tea. If you don't have a piping bag, just swirl the buttercream on top with a spoon. See method
- 125g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 80g unsalted butter, softened
- 170g golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 175g low-fat natural yogurt
For the buttercream frosting
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 130g icing sugar
- 15g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp milk chocolate vermicelli, to decorate (optional)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases and set aside. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric hand whisk to cream together the butter and caster sugar, until pale and fluffy, then crack in the egg. Whisk to combine, then add the yogurt and whisk again. Add the sifted flour mixture along with 2 tbsp water and mix gently until just combined.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for 25 mins, until risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Beat the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder together using an electric hand whisk, until pale and fluffy.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe the icing onto the top of each cooled cupcake. Sprinkle with the chocolate vermicelli, if using.
Tip: For a citrus twist, add the zest of 1 orange to the cupcake batter, substituting 2 tbsp orange juice for the water. Add 1 tsp of Valencian orange extract to the frosting mixture.
See more Cupcake recipes