Courgette, tomato and red onion focaccia recipe
Jamie Oliver says, "Light and spongy with a gorgeous crispy top, this focaccia is so easy even the kids can help you make it. We’re turning up the dial with some beautiful seasonal veg and a dollop of pesto for extra flavour. Trust me, it won’t hang around for long." See method
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 250g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 250g strong wholemeal bread flour
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 courgette
- 1 red onion
- 250g cherry vine tomatoes
- 2 tsp pesto
Source of folate, which supports the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- In a jug, tip the yeast into 325ml of lukewarm water and stir until dissolved.
- Combine the flours in a large mixing bowl with a good pinch of sea salt. Make a well in the middle, then pour in the bubbly yeast mixture and and mix until it just comes together into a ball of dough. Knead on a flour-dusted surface for 5 mins, or until smooth and springy.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean, damp tea towel and prove in a warm place for 1 hr, or until doubled in size.
- Grease a 30 x 25cm shallow baking tray with oil. When ready, pound the dough a few times with your fist, then stretch it out to fill the tray. Push down roughly with your fingers to create dips and wells, then drizzle over 1½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Cover again and prove for another 30 mins, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Slice the courgette, peel and cut the onion and halve the cherry tomatoes. Toss together on a baking tray with ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Bake the veg and focaccia on separate shelves in the oven for 25-30 mins, or until the focaccia is golden and crisp, and the veg is softened and caramelised. Carefully remove the focaccia from the tray and leave to cool slightly.
- Cut the focaccia in half lengthways like a giant sandwich, spread 2 tsp pesto over the base and top with the roasted veg. Pop the lid on and cut into squares.
See more Healthy recipes