Bagels are the perfect vessel to create this Mexican-inspired egg in a hole. Jazz up rashers of crispy streaky bacon with a sweet and spicy mix of chipotle, paprika and maple syrup and serve with a zingy tomato guacamole and perfectly cooked eggs.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C and line a baking tray with foil. If the bagel holes are small, cut away some of the centre.
- Mash the avocado with the lime juice and a little salt. Stir in the tomatoes and set aside.
- Mix the chipotle paste and maple syrup. Put the bacon on the lined tray and brush one side with half the chilli-maple paste. Bake for 8-10 mins, until just crisp, then turn over and brush with the remaining paste. Bake for a further 5-7 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof frying pan set over a high heat, toast the cut sides of the 4 bagel bases for 1-2 mins, until golden. Remove and spread with the guacamole.
- Preheat the grill to high. Heat the oil in the frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the bagel tops, cut-side down. Break an egg into each hole and cook for 10-12 mins, then put the pan under the grill, until the tops are cooked to your liking*. Put 3 bacon rashers on each base, then sandwich with the eggy bagel top; season.
See more Breakfast recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
*If serving vulnerable groups, elderly people, babies, toddlers, pregnant women and people who are unwell, cook until the whites and yolks are solid.