With ground cloves and ginger, these scrumptious gingerbread biscuits are packed with rich flavours. The kids will love getting involved with baking these wonderfully festive treats.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and line a couple of baking trays with nonstick baking paper.
- Melt the butter, syrup and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat once melted.
- Sieve together the flour, ground spices, bicarbonate of soda and stir the melted ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to 5mm thickness.
- Use a gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out 12 shapes from the dough. Place them on the lined baking trays and bake for 8-10 minutes until just set and starting to colour at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool on the trays for 5 minutes before lifting carefully onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together the icing sugar and a little boiling water to make a smooth icing in a small mixing bowl. Fill a small piping bag fitted with a very small pinhole nozzle with the icing. Pipe a border of icing around the gingerbread men and smiley faces as well.
- Allow the icing to set then serve once cool.
See more Easy Christmas baking recipes