Gingerbread present box with bow recipe
The ultimate Christmas gift is one that’s homemade and taste delicious. These sweet present-shaped gingerbread biscuits make for a wonderful edible Christmas gift. See method
- ¼ gingerbread dough mix
- 250g (8oz) royal icing sugar
- white shimmer pearls
If you don't have any pears, try using apples
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Follow the recipe for the basic gingerbread dough mix (it's best to do this the day before). When you’re ready to make your gingerbread presents, remove the dough from the fridge. Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180ºC, fan 160ºC. Print and cut out the Gingerbread present box with bow template. Line two flat baking trays with nonstick baking paper.
- Roll out the gingerbread dough between two pieces of nonstick baking paper to the thickness of £1 coin. Remove the top piece of paper and, using the template, cut out 8 present boxes. You will need to re-roll the trimmings to get 8 boxes. Keeping the dough on the paper you rolled it out on, carefully transfer onto the lined baking trays and bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix up the royal icing sugar to pack instructions. You’ll need a stiff consistency to pipe on the outline of the boxes, so if you think it is a little loose, stir in a little more icing sugar. Spoon 1/3 into a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle, or a clean sandwich bag with a small corner snipped off. Pipe the outline of the gift box and ribbon onto the biscuits, and start to fill the space for the ribbon, place to one side to set.
- Use the pearls to make different patterns on each of the present boxes. Leave to set on a wire rack.
- Decorating tips: split the remaining icing in half and spoon into separate bowls. Colour with food colouring, adding more colouring for a stronger colour. Fill some of the piped boxes with the different coloured icings, carefully pushing to the sides with a small spoon. Be careful not to put too much icing onto the biscuit, as it may flood over the top of the outline. You can also experiment with different coloured pearls or raspberry flavoured fudge.
Download the Gingerbread present box with bow template here