Gluten-free sausage rolls recipe
Don't let intolerances hold you back – with our nifty recipe for gorgeously crisp sausage rolls, you can still tuck into classic summertime snacks. What's more, once you've mastered homemade flaky pastry you can make a whole host of gluten-free treats! See method
- 220g (7 1/2oz) gluten-free plain flour, plus more for dusting
- 200g unsalted butter, cold
- 1 x 454g pack 8 frozen Free From pork sausages, defrosted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- To make the pastry, put the flour and 1/2 tsp salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into 2.5cm (1in) pieces and add to the bowl. Stir the butter into the flour to coat, then rub into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Create a well in the centre, then add about 50ml (2fl oz) ice cold water. Using a flat knife, work the water into the flour mixture to bring the mixture together. Continue adding the water 1 tbsp at a time until you have a soft workable dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and briefly knead until you have a smooth ball of pastry, being careful not to overwork the pastry. Press together to form a disk, wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a work surface and knead the pastry gently to form a rectangle. Roll the dough out widthways until it is 3 times the original size and about 5mm (1/4in) thick. Fold one third of the pastry towards the centre, then fold the remaining pastry into the centre and over the first third. Turn the dough by 90 degrees and roll out again to the same dimensions. Fold as before, repeat the process and then cover with cling film. Return to the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Remove the skins from the sausages. Put the sausage meat in a bowl and mix together with a fork.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface until about 30cm (12in) x 30cm (12in) and 1-1 1/2cm (1/2-3/4in). Cut the pastry down the length into 2 equal strips. Take half the sausage meat and using your hands, roll to make a sausage shape that is the same length as the pastry. Put the sausage meat down the middle of the pastry strip lengthways.
- Brush beaten egg down one side of the pastry and on the sausage meat, fold the other side of the pastry over the meat first and then the side with beaten egg. Gently run your hands up and down the length of the sausage roll to ensure it is compact and straight. Repeat with the remaining pastry and sausage meat so you have 2 long sausage rolls. Cut each one into 6 or 12 even pieces and put on a lined baking tray and brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden and cooked through.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool slightly before serving.
See more Gluten-free recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.