Spoil your loved one this Valentine’s Day with this special starter of goat’s cheese and red onion – it not only looks impressive, it tastes pretty good too.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Bring a small pan of water to the boil. Cook the broccoli for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and refresh in cold water, then chop into 1cm (1/2in) pieces.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add the red onion and garlic and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until softened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a jug, beat the egg with the cream; season. Stir in the chopped broccoli, red onion, goat’s cheese and chives.
- Cut the filo into 12 squares, roughly 10cm x 10cm (4in x 4in). Brush one square with melted butter and top with another at an angle to create a ‘star’ effect. Repeat with a further 4 squares, brushing each one with butter and alternating the angles to make a 6-layer filo stack. Repeat with the remaining 6 squares to make a second filo stack. Brush two holes of a muffin tin with melted butter and line each one with a filo stack, pressing it into the base and sides to create space for the filling.
- Carefully spoon the egg mixture into the pastry cases and season with a little freshly cracked black pepper. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the filling has set and the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing for the rocket salad. Combine the oil, vinegar, honey and mustard in a small jug. Set aside until needed.
- Remove the tartlets from the oven. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes, before carefully transferring to serving plates. Divide the rocket between the plates and drizzle over the dressing. Serve immediately.
Tip: Filo dries out easily, so keep the sheets covered while you prep the first tartlet.
See more Valentine's Day recipes