A hearty, delicious soup packed with lots of flavour. Dried split green peas are combined with crumbled pieces of feta cheese, strips of gammon steak and lots of green vegetable and herbs - making it a vibrant meal to tuck into.
- Drain the soaked peas and tip into a large pan. Cover with 1.5ltr (2 1/2pt) water. Stud each onion half with three cloves, then add to the pan, along with the bay leaves. Bring to the boil, skimming of any scum that forms, then simmer for 45 minutes, until tender.
- Drain the peas and return to the pan. Add the stock and top up with 500ml (17fl oz) freshly boiled water. Add the thyme leaves, season well, and then gently simmer, over a low heat, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion and cook, until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Wipe most of the oil from the pan, then increase the heat and fry the gammon for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes, then shred into small pieces.
- Stir the spinach into the soup and then, using a stick blender, whizz until almost smooth. Stir in most of the parsley. Ladle into bowls and top with the feta, gammon, remaining parsley and crispy onions.
See more Soup recipes