With a fragrant sriracha marinade, crunchy slaw and an aromatic dressing, this crowd-pleasing Hawaiian inspired chicken recipe is the perfect excuse to fire up the barbecue this summer.
- Spatchcock the chicken by cutting down either side of the backbone with a pair of scissors. Remove the spine and discard (or reserve for making stock). Turn breast-side up and flatten the chicken by pressing down with the heel of your hand. Put in a large sealable food bag or shallow dish.
- To make the marinade, combine the sriracha, honey, pineapple juice, lime juice, soy sauce, ginger and garlic in a small bowl. Pour over the chicken and seal the bag or cover the dish with clingfilm. Chill for at least 2-3 hrs, or overnight to let the flavours infuse. One hour before cooking, remove the chicken from the fridge and bring to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Transfer the chicken and marinade to a large, shallow baking dish. Roast for 40 mins, or until the skin is crisp and the meat is cooked through with no pink meat showing. Alternatively, preheat the barbecue and cook the chicken over an indirect, low heat with the lid on for 40-50 mins, until the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat showing.
- Meanwhile, prepare the slaw. Put the cabbage, mango, avocado, spring onions, coconut and peanuts in a bowl.
- To make the dressing for the slaw, combine the soy sauce, lemon juice, toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil in a small jug. Pour it over the slaw mixture and toss to combine, then scatter over the ½ tbsp sesame seeds.
- Joint and slice the chicken and serve with the slaw and the extra griddled lime halves.
Tip: For an easy, hot side dish, serve the chicken and slaw with a couple of packs of microwavable coconut rice, garnished with sliced spring onions.
See more Chicken recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.