Masala fish and chips with mushy peas recipe
Spruce up your traditional fish and chips by adding some wonderfully spiced Indian tikka masala to your crispy breaded fillets. This Indian-British fusion dish is great served with chips and mushy peas. See method
- 750g (1 1/2 lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp tikka masala paste
- 4 boneless white fish fillets
- 100g (3 1/2oz) dry breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove
- 325g (11oz) frozen peas
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Put a large, shallow baking tray in the oven and preheat to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180° C.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the potato wedges and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes, cool them under the cold tap and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Remove the hot baking tray from the oven with care, pour in half the oil and swirl until covered. Add the potatoes. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Mix together 1 tbsp oil with the tikka masala curry paste. Spread this all over the fish fillets. Place the breadcrumbs onto a large plate and then press the fish fillets into the breadcrumbs until well coated. Place on another shallow baking tray and the drizzle over the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil. Give the potatoes a good shake, turn them over and then return to the oven along with the fish for 15 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile place the garlic in a small pan of water and bring to the boil. Add the peas and cook for 3 minutes, then drain, reserving a little of the water. Add the crème fraîche, season and then whizz with a hand blender, adding a little of the cooking water if you need until you get a chunky purée. Serve alongside the fish and chips.
See more Family favourites recipes