Potato and minced meat pie recipe
- 200g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- a little plain flour, for dusting
- 400g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 250g beef mince
- 75g sun-dried tomatoes, drained
If you haven't got any Maris Pipers, try using King Edward potatoes
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat most of the olive oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, over a medium heat until it starts to soften. Increase the heat and add the beef, browning well, for 4-5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and the Worcestershire sauce and set to one side.
- Slice the potatoes into 1cm slices and pat dry. Roll half of the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to 1cm thickness and use it to line a 7 inch straight-sided, springform cake tin. Spoon the half of the mince into the base of the pastry, then arrange the potatoes in layers on top, spooning the rest of the mince in between layers.
- Season each layer and finish by arranging the sun-dried tomatoes on top. Roll the rest of the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to 1cm thickness and use it to make a lid for the pie. Crimp the edges where it joins the base of the pastry at the rim and bring them up about an inch above the the rim of the tin.
- Brush the edges and top with the rest of the olive oil and make a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape while it bakes. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the pastry is golden and cooked. Remove and allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes before turning out and cutting into portions. Serve hot.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. Always defrost and heat thoroughly before eating. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.