Red velvet brownies recipe
Surprise your other half and loved ones with this Valentine's Day dessert. Try making a batch of these velvety, rich heart-shaped brownies served with a dollop of vanilla buttercream frosting. See method
For the brownies
- 200g dark chocolate
- 135g milk chocolate
- 185g slightly salted butter, diced
- 275g soft light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- about 2 tsp red food colouring (amount will depend on the brand you use)
- 85g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
For the frosting
- 150g soft cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 50g icing sugar
- 50g butter, softened
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat an oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C and line a square brownie tray or baking tin with non-stick parchment.
- Roughly chop the dark and milk chocolate and set aside 150g for the topping. Put the rest in a small pan with the butter and sugar then heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove to a mixing bowl and cool slightly. Clean out the pan and use it to melt the rest of the chocolate then set aside.
- Stir the eggs, one by one, into the melted chocolate in the mixing bowl then add the red food colouring until the mixture is a deep red colour.
- Sieve over the flour and cocoa powder, fold to combine and pour into the prepared tin.
- Pour the melted chocolate from the pan onto the surface of the brownie in four evenly spaced lines and use a toothpick to create a ripple effect.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 25 mins, adding a few minutes more if you prefer firmer brownies. Cool in the tin for about 10 mins then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Beat the soft cheese, vanilla, icing sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Once the brownies are cool, trim off the edges and cut into nine even squares. Spread with the icing using a palette knife, keep chilled once iced.
Tip: To make these extra special, use a heart cutter to stamp out hearts from pink or red royal icing and stick one in the middle of each iced brownie.
See more Valentine's Day recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.