Pair sweet and earthy celeriac with tangy apple, sage and thyme to create this simple soup recipe. The roasted celeriac adds a wonderful velvety texture, making this dish a tasty winter warmer that's perfect for serving up on cold days.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180ºC.
- Put the celeriac in a large mixing bowl and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and season well. Arrange on a baking tray and bake for 1 hr.
- Peel, core and dice the apple. Heat another 1 tbsp oil in a large deep saucepan. Add the apple, onion, celery, garlic and thyme leaves and fry over a medium heat until it begins to soften. Add the celeriac, sage and vegetable stock. Season well and simmer for 30 mins.
- Heat a dry frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the pancetta. Reduce the heat and cook until crisp.
- Meanwhile, put the bread cubes on a baking tray. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Turn to coat, then season well and toast in the oven for 4-5 mins, until golden brown all over.
- Whizz the soup until smooth in a food processor or using a stick blender, adding the crème fraîche as you blend. Add some extra hot water to loosen, if necessary.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with the pancetta and croutons, then add extra crème fraîche and a few chopped sage leaves, if you like, to serve.
See more SORTED food recipes
Recipe taken from the SORTED Food recipe collection.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.