Treat your Valentine to some delicately floral and nutty Turkish delight. These colourful sweets make a wonderful homemade gift for friends, family and loved ones.
- Place the sugar, lemon juice and 160ml (5 1/2fl oz) of water in a pan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves then cook for 10 minutes or until it reaches 105°C on a sugar thermometer.
- Meanwhile, place 50g (2oz) of the cornflour, cream of tartar and 180ml (6fl oz) of water into another saucepan and stir over a medium heat until the mixture thickens to the consistency of glue.
- Gradually stir the sugar syrup into the cornflour mixture. Cook over a low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally until the mixture reaches a light golden colour. (It should reach the “soft ball” – 112–115°C – stage on a sugar thermometer.)
- Meanwhile, blanch the pistachios for 2 minutes in boiling water and drain. Put them on a teatowel and rub them for a minute or two to remove the outer skin. This will leave you with a lovely green pistachio.
- Remove the Turkish delight mixture from the heat and stir in the rosewater, food colouring and pistachios until well combined.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan lined with a double layer of cling film. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or until firm.
- Mix the icing sugar and 20g (3/4oz) of the cornflour together and dust the chopping board liberally with the mixture. Turn the Turkish delight out onto the board and cut into 18 evenly sized squares using an oiled knife.
- Toss the cubes in the remaining icing sugar until it is well covered.
See more Valentine's Day recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.