Spanish-inspired chicken and peppers one-pot recipe
Try this Spanish-inspired chicken and peppers one-pot recipe for a hassle-free winter warmer. Peppers, onion and tender chicken thighs are simmered in a spiced tomato sauce and served with fluffy rice for a hearty dinner. See method
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 3 mixed peppers, chopped into 3cm chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube, made up to 200ml
- 225g long-grain rice
If you don't have chopped tomatoes, chop up a tin of plum tomatoes instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
Toss the chicken thighs in the flour until lightly coated. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a high heat and cook the chicken thighs for 4-5 mins on each side until golden and the skin is crisp. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pan and cook over a high heat for 2-3 mins until starting to char on the edges. Add the garlic, scatter with the paprika and season well. Stir well to coat and cook for 1 min before adding the chopped tomatoes and stock.
- Return the chicken thighs to the pan and nestle into the sauce. Cover with a lid, reduce to a low simmer and cook for 30 mins. Remove the lid and cook for a further 10 mins until the sauce to reduces and thickens.
- Meanwhile, rinse the rice and put in a pan of boiling water. Cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for 10 mins until tender. Fluff with a fork and serve with the chicken.
See more One-Pot recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.