Strawberries and cream sandwiched between sugary sweet shortbread biscuits, a flavour combination that never fails to please.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Using an electric whisk, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Work in the flour to make a dry dough (adding a splash of milk, if needed). Shape into a flat disc, wrap in clingfilm; chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the strawberries in a pan with the maple syrup and 4 tbsp water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the fruit and set aside. Increase the heat for 2-3 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by two-thirds. Leave to cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 5mm (1/4in) thick. Using a 7cm (3in) cutter, stamp out 12 rounds, re-rolling the scraps as needed. Cook, on a lined baking tray, for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes, before transferring to a wire rack.
- Mix the vanilla seeds with 1 tbsp sugar and scatter over the warm biscuits; leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whip the cream and yogurt to soft peaks. Arrange 6 biscuits on a plate and top each with a spoonful of the cream, some strawberries and a drizzle of the syrup. Balance the remaining 6 biscuits on top.
See more Seasonal recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.