Sweet and sour chicken is a takeaway favourite, but actually very easy to make at home. With a sweet, sticky sauce, crunchy veg and juicy pineapple, this homemade version is great to rustle up for a Friday night in, or to celebrate Chinese New Year.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the sauce with the reserved 100ml pineapple juice from the tin until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok or frying pan over a high heat until very hot. Add 1 tbsp of the oil, swirl around the pan, then add the chicken. Cook for 5-7 mins, stirring all the time, until golden and just cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add the peppers and cook for 3 mins or until softened. Add most of the spring onions, along with all the garlic and ginger, and cook for 30 secs.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the bamboo shoots and pineapple chunks. Pour over the sauce and leave to bubble for a couple of mins, stirring often, until cooked through.
- Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp cold water in a small bowl until smooth, then add to the pan. Cook for 30 secs or until the sauce starts to thicken. Serve with the cooked rice and garnish with the reserved spring onion, the chilli and coriander.
See more Chinese recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.