Anjum Anand cooks a light, summery tandoori chicken salad, packed with whole grains, avocado, tomatoes and red onion. Using a homemade tandoori tikka paste to coat the chicken and a refreshing mint dressing, this salad is bursting with wonderful fresh flavours.
- Prick the chicken all over with the tip of a sharp knife. Blend together the ingredients for the marinade including 1 tbsp olive oil and season well. Taste and adjust heat and seasoning to taste. It should be salty and tangy. Add the chicken and coat with the marinade. Set aside to marinate for around 25 mins.
- Place the marinated chicken on a foil-lined tray on upper shelf under a grill at 220°C or high heat for 7-8 mins on one side or until charred a little. Turn and cook on the other side for 4-5 mins, until the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat remaining.
- Meanwhile, blend together all the ingredients for the dressing, adding the remaining 4 tbsp olive oil. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Once the chicken is done, take it out of the oven. Coat in the cooking juices, roll up the edges of the foil slightly and leave to rest for a few mins.
- Meanwhile toss together the avocado, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, pumpkin seeds (leaving some to garnish) and grains. Pour over most of the dressing.
- Slice the chicken and serve with the salad. Drizzle over the extra dressing, sprinkle over the remaining pumpkin seeds and serve.
See more Indian recipes
This delicious recipe was created by chef and author Anjum Anand and is part of our Tesco Dinner Tonight series, which shows you how to make quick and easy midweek meals. You can watch the full recipe video here.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.