Yann and Pam's 'recharge' ratatouille recipe
For a healthy meal that’s still hearty and filling, this tasty ratatouille recipe is sure to fit the bill. With all the sunny flavours of the Mediterranean from tomatoes, courgettes and aubergines, in our Food Love story, this easy traybake is Yann and Pam’s favourite dish to serve their daughter when she returns home from a weekend festival and is in need of some healthy home cooking. See method
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 500g carton Italian passata with garlic and herbs
- 6 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2½ onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large courgettes, sliced
- 2 medium aubergines, sliced
- 100g Parmesan, or vegetarian hard cheese, grated
- handful basil leaves (optional)
- rustic rye bread (optional)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Lightly grease a 20cm x 30cm baking dish with some oil. Pour in the passata.
- Arrange the tomato, onion, courgette and aubergine slices on top of the passata, so that they are standing up on their sides, in straight lines. You may need to halve some of the larger aubergine slices. Scatter half of the Parmesan over the top, allowing some to fall between the vegetables.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and discard the foil. Brush the tops of the veg with the oil, season with black pepper and sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan.
- Return to the oven for 30 minutes, or until the veg is cooked through. Scatter over the basil, if using, and serve with rye bread, if you like.
Cutting the onions with a sharp knife will release fewer of the active compounds that cause crying.
Chop up any leftovers and stir through pasta, use as a sauce in lasagne, or pile onto jacket potatoes.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.