7 slices white farmhouse loaf
40g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
60g caster sugar
150ml double cream
1½ tsp vanilla extract
300ml whole milk
2 tbsp demerara sugar
1. Remove the crusts from 7 slices white bread, cut in half on the diagonal and spread with 40g softened butter.
2. Layer the bread, butter side-up, in a buttered 1.5ltr shallow baking dish with 60g sultanas, overlapping the bread and fruit to fill the dish. Set aside.
3. Whisk together 3 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 60g caster sugar, 150ml double cream and 1½ tsp vanilla extract until well combined. Add 300ml whole milk and whisk again.
4. Pour over the bread and allow to soak for 15 mins. Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Sprinkle the top of the bread with 2 tbsp demerara sugar, bake for 30 mins.
5. Preheat grill to high: grill for 1-2 mins for a really crisp, golden top before serving.
See more Baking recipes