Broccoli pesto penne with chilli and garlic sizzle
Vibrant, healthy and finished with a fragrant garlic and chilli sizzle, this is not your average pasta with pesto. The pesto itself takes no time at all to make - simply blitz broccoli, herbs and hazelnuts for a silky sauce that can instantly transform any healthy pasta recipe.
- In a pan of boiling water, cook the pasta following the pack instructions. In another pan of boiling water, blanch the broccoli for 3 mins, drain and refresh under cold water.
- In a food processor, whizz the broccoli with the basil, parsley, nuts and 1 tsp oil, until finely chopped. Add the cheese and 4-5 tbsp of the pasta cooking water to loosen the pesto, then pulse. Season to taste.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and return to the pan. Add the broccoli pesto and mix through the pasta to coat.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the garlic and chilli and stir-fry for 1 min over a high heat, until softened and browning slightly.
- Divide the pasta between 2 serving bowls, and spoon over the garlic and chilli sizzle. Serve with a few cheese shavings, if you like.
Tip: Why not make double the pesto and freeze in ice cube tray portions until needed?
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Pasta recipes
View full recipe details