Smoky BBQ mushroom buns
This vegan take on the popular pulled pork bun replaces the meat with a large, flat mushroom, marinated in a smoky barbecue sauce. Try roasting it until it softens or grill it for an outdoor barbecue.
- Mix together the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup, paprika and olive oil. Generously brush the mixture over the mushrooms, put them in a roasting tray and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Roast the mushrooms for 25 minutes or until tender. If cooking on a barbecue, place the mushrooms onto the barbecue on a medium/high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes; turning every 30-40 seconds, or until they are cooked through.
- Spoon any remaining marinade into a pan, stir in 1 tbsp water ready to heat just before serving.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw. Mix together the cabbage, carrots, spring onions, yogurt, mustard and lemon juice, then season to taste.
- Spoon some shredded lettuce on the bottom half of each bun, top with a mushroom, then spoon over a little of the barbecue sauce. Add some of the slaw or serve it by the side.
See more Vegan recipes
View full recipe details