This sausage casserole makes great use of baked beans to make a sticky, tasty one-pot, perfect for midweek dinners. Serve with a baked potato if you’re extra hungry.
- Chop the carrots and onions into a 2cm dice – you could introduce older children to basic knife skills here by getting them to chop the carrots with a blunt knife, just make sure to supervise them.
- Heat the oil in the pan over a medium heat and fry the sausages until golden brown all over.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and fry for a further 4 minutes until coloured a slightly softened.
- Add the vegetable stock, mustard, bay leaf and chopped parsley and bring to the boil. Get the children to stir the ingredients together.
- Add the beans and turn the heat down.
- Place a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Taste and add a pinch of salt if needed. Remove from the heat and divide the casserole across 4 bowls. Sprinkle with more chopped parsley and serve immediately.
See more Main meal recipes for kids
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.