Aubergine massaman curry recipe
Jamie says: "This fragrant curry is quick to make and freezes well, so portion up and fill the freezer. Using a ready-made curry paste gives you more bang for your buck." See method
- 450g brown rice
- 3 aubergines (800g total)
- 45g unsalted peanuts
- 100g bunch spring onions
- olive oil
- 300g waxy potatoes
- 3 tbsp massaman curry paste
- 400g tin light coconut milk
- 350g sugarsnap peas
- 2 limes (optional)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Cook the rice in a large pan of boiling salted water to pack instructions. Chop the aubergine into 3cm chunks, place in a colander on top of the rice, cover and steam for the first 8 mins, or until starting to soften.
- Meanwhile, toast the peanuts in a large non-stick frying pan until golden, tossing reguarly, then crush using a pestle and mortar (or finely chop). Trim the spring onions and chop into 2cm pieces. Place in the frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and cook for 5 mins on a medium heat or until lightly charred, then remove to a plate.
- Use tongs to move the steamed aubergine into the frying pan to char for 5 mins, turning often and removing to a plate when done - you may need to work in batches.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks, add to the frying pan with the curry paste and stir for 2 mins. Pour in the coconut milk and stir well, then cover and cook for 8 mins, or until the potatoes are cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Halve the sugarsnaps lengthways and add to the pan along with the charred aubergines, then cover and cook for a final 2 mins. Drain and divide the rice between bowls and spoon over the curry, top with the charred spring onions, crushed nuts and a squeeze of lime, if you like.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Jamie Oliver recipes