Try these stuffed aubergine pancakes for a healthy dinner for two. Proving there is more to pancakes than just lemon and sugar, these savoury pancakes are filled with a Mediterranean-inspired veg sauce.
- Mix the flour in a large bowl with 1 tsp oregano and some seasoning. Mix the milk with 75ml water, then ½ tbsp oil. Crack the egg into the flour, then slowly whisk in the milk until smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion for 3 mins, then add the garlic and aubergine and fry for 7-8 mins, stirring, until golden.
- Stir in the celery, vinegar, capers and 1 tsp oregano, and fry for a few secs until the vinegar has almost evaporated. Stir in the tomatoes and 100ml water, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 mins until the aubergine is tender. Add a little water if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat and add ½ tbsp oil. Once the oil is hot, pour in ¼ of the batter and cook for 1-2 mins each side until set. Slide onto a warm plate. Repeat with the remaining batter to make 4 pancakes.
- Fill the pancakes with the veg and scatter over the basil.
See more Vegetarian recipes