The perfect way to celebrate Mother's Day? With a boozy chocolate cake! Adding a drop (or two) of Baileys to the sponge and ganache, really takes this indulgent showstopper to the next level. Why not treat your mum to this gorgeous chocolate cake for a Mother's Day treat?
- Preheat the oven, gas 2, 160°C, fan 140°C. Grease and line a 20cm (8in) round springform baking tin.
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pan over simmering water, melt the butter and chocolate. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sugars and Baileys – don’t worry if it splits a little.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition until well combined. Fold in the flour, almonds, baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt, if you like. Pour into the baking tin and bake for 45-50 minutes. A skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out slightly underdone. Remove from the oven and leave to cook in the tin for 15 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a wire rack. Leave to cool completely.
- For the ganache, put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream and Baileys in a saucepan until just under boiling point. Pour over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate has melted, add a pinch of salt. Set aside for 20 minutes, until cooled and thickened.
- Using a long bread knife, cut the cake in half horizontally. Spread with the cooled ganache and then top with the remaining cake. Cover the cake with the remaining ganache. Cut into slices to serve.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines: Bake according to the recipe but stop before adding decoration or icing if called for. Allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months.
Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven.If you wish to add icing or decoration, add them after the baked goods have fully defrosted and are at room temperature.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.