Cherry Bakewell choc lollies recipe
Chill out with these cherry Bakewell choc ices. With sweet cherries, rich dark chocolate and crushed almonds, these lollies are sure to see you through the summer. See method
- 300g frozen cherries
- 130g soft light brown sugar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 600ml pot whipping cream
- 200g condensed milk
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 80g blanched almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Put the cherries, sugar and lemon juice in a small pan and cook over a medium heat for 10-15 mins, stirring regularly, until the cherries have broken down and the liquid is thick and syrupy. Blitz with a stick blender, then pass through a sieve into a heatproof bowl. Leave to cool completely.
- Line a deep 950g (2lb) loaf tin with baking paper. Whip the creams and condensed milk for 2-3 mins with an electric whisk to soft peaks. Whisk in the almond extract, if you like. Spoon half the mixture into the tin and swirl in half the cherry compote. Repeat with both mixtures to layer. Transfer to the freezer for 1 hr 30 mins, then push 12 lollipop sticks into the mixture in two equidistant lines. Freeze overnight to set solid.
- Cut the ice cream into 12 individual lollies while still in the tin, then return to the freezer for 30 mins.
- To serve, melt the chocolate in 30-sec bursts in the microwave, stirring in between, until melted. Leave to cool a little: it should still be molten. Tip the chopped almonds into a bowl. Remove the lollies, one at a time, then allow everyone to dip them into, or drizzle with, the chocolate and scatter with the nuts.
See more Ice cream recipes
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Freeze for up to 1 month. In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.