Chicken breasts in white wine sauce recipe
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tsp black peppercorns
- 300ml chicken stock
- 125ml dry white wine
- 20g reduced-fat (lighter) spread
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 100ml Tesco healthy living creme fraiche
- 100g (3 1/2oz) button mushrooms, chopped
- 1tbsp finely chopped parsley
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Put the chicken breasts in a saucepan which will take them in a fairly snug layer, with the celery, onion, bay leaf and peppercorns, then and add just enough chicken stock to cover them. Bring to a simmer, put the lid on and cook very gently for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through with no pink showing. Using a slotted spatula, remove the chicken fillets to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Strain the cooking liquid through a fine sieve, mashing the contents down in the sieve as you do so, then return the sieved liquid to the pan with the wine and put on a fast simmer without a lid for 2 minutes.
- Melt the spread in a small non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add the sauce flour and stir well to make a roux. Slowly add the reserved poaching liquid/wine mix to the pan, stirring constantly, to make a thick sauce. Add the mushrooms, bring to simmer and cook for two minutes. Stir the crème fraîche, parsley and salt into the sauce. Check seasoning. Serve the chicken breasts thickly sliced, with the sauce spooned over.
Tip: Try serving each portion with 80g Tesco Finest Tender Stem Broccoli and 100g baby new potatoes – adds 102 calories.
See more Chicken recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.