Chicken goujons with home-made ketchup recipe
- 4tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 150g (5oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 x 431g pack chicken fillets, cut into finger-sized strips
- sunflower oil, for frying
For the ketchup
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
If you don't have chopped tomatoes, chop up a tin of plum tomatoes instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs onto separate plates. Dip the chicken strips into the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs, to coat. Set aside to dry for up to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the ketchup. Mix together the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan. Cook over a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste and either crush roughly with a fork or purée with a stick blender.
- Pour oil into a frying pan to a depth of ½cm (¼in) and heat until a breadcrumb dropped into the oil sizzles. Fry the chicken strips for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through with no pink showing; the coating should be crisp and golden. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Spoon into paper cones and serve immediately, with the ketchup.
See more Chicken recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.