This easy chicken recipe with creamy mushroom sauce is a delicious evening meal that can be prepared and cooked in under 45 minutes. Sear both chicken sides in butter and garlic, then pour over the rich and creamy mushroom sauce and serve with basmati and wild rice for a rustic, warming dinner.
- In a small bowl, soak the dried mushrooms in boiling water for 15 minutes. Strain and save the liquid. Chop the mushrooms and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken on both sides and then fry for 5 minutes, skin side down. Turn the breasts over and fry for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes. Then mix in the chestnut mushrooms and fry for a further 3 minutes. Add the garlic and reserved chopped mushrooms and fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in 100ml of the mushroom soaking liquid and the hot stock and two thirds of the chopped tarragon. Return the browned chicken pieces to the pan. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Cut into the thickest part of the breast to check that the chicken is cooked through with no pink showing.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and warm through but don’t boil. Scatter over the rest of the tarragon, and serve with green beans and steamed basmati and wild rice.
Tip: Keep leftover rice and use it up the next day in some Rice Croquettes.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.