Chilli and mango margarita recipe
Transform your Christmas party into a Mexican fiesta with this fiery chilli and mango margarita. A quick vanilla and chilli sugar syrup adds heat to the sweet mango juice, while tequila and lime work together to make a Christmas cocktail that really packs a punch. See method
- ice cubes
- 100ml vodka
- 100ml (3 1/2fl oz) tequila
- 400ml (14fl oz) mango juice
- 2 limes, juiced
- 150ml (1/4pt) prosecco or sparkling wine
For the vanilla and chilli syrup
- 1 vanilla pod
- 125g (4oz) granulated sugar
- 2 long red chillies, 1 halved
If you don't have any limes, try a lemon instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Start by making the syrup. Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Put the seeds into a small, heavy bottomed pan along with the sugar and 125ml (4fl oz) of water. Add the halved chilli. Heat the pan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and boil vigorously for 1 min. Turn off the heat and leave to cool completely. Strain the syrup into a jug.
- Put a handful of ice cubes into a large cocktail shaker; and add 4 tbsp of the syrup (you may not need all the syrup but it will keep well in a jam jar in the fridge for 3 months). Add the vodka, tequila, mango juice and the lime juice. Put the lid on the shaker and shake vigorously to combine.
- Strain the cocktail into 4 chilled martini glasses and garnish with curls of chilli – to make these, use a potato peeler to peel strips of the whole chilli down its length. Curl around a pencil or a chopstick and add one to each drink.
See more Christmas cocktails