Pea and ham soup recipe
An easy soup recipe that’s perfect for a midweek meal as it’s ready in just half an hour. Packed with peas straight from the freezer, the whole family will love this pea and ham soup’s vibrant colour and flavour, topped off with a little honey roast ham for a meaty finish. See method
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g frozen diced onions
- 900ml low salt vegetable stock
- 350g (12oz) frozen peas
- 1-2 fresh mint sprigs, leaves picked
- 85g sliced honey roast ham, cut into small pieces
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the frozen diced onion, and cook for 2-3 mins to thaw and remove any excess liquid. Add the oil and cook for another 3 mins until softened. Add the diced potato and the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 mins until the potato is tender. Add the peas and mint leaves, bring back to a simmer, and cook for 3-5 mins more until just cooked through.
- Take the saucepan off the heat. Allow to cool a little, then use a stick blender to whizz the soup until smooth. Top up the soup with a little more stock or water if needed. Add most of the ham, stir through, and then season according to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with the remaining ham to serve.
The frozen peas only need a few minutes to cook, otherwise they will lose their vibrant green colour.
See more Soup recipes