Andy Waters' Coconut cookie crumble is an ideal recipe if kids are happy to get their hands all gooey. Made with hearty oats, creamy desiccated coconut, and sticky golden syrup, this easy cookie recipe for kids is a guaranteed winner.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper – see if the kids can help laying this down.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, coconut and oats, blending well - messy, floury kids’ hands should be the sign of a job well done. Just make sure their hands are washed before getting stuck into the mix.
- In a small pan, melt the butter and golden syrup over a low heat.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the bicarbonate soda in 2tbsp of boiling water. Combine with the golden syrup and butter.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, and pour in the warm golden syrup mixture, mixing well until it forms a dough.
- Take a heaped teaspoon of the mixture and roll into balls. Place onto the baking tray and press down slightly to flatten. Repeat until all the mixture has been used up - little hands will make light work of rolling the dough into balls - and then flatten down into cookies.
- Place into the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until the biscuits are golden.
- Once baked, remove and place straight onto a wire rack to cool before serving.
See all Easy recipes for kids
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.