Upgrade your sausage roll recipe this season with the addition of softened leeks, zesty cranberry sauce and crunchy nigella seeds. Why not whip up a batch of these to serve at your next Christmas party?
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a pan and lightly cook the leek over a moderately high heat for 3-4 minutes until softened. Set aside to cool then mix into the sausage meat and set aside.
- Unroll the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and cut in half lengthways to form 2 equal pieces.
- Put 3 tbsp of the cranberry sauce onto each pastry rectangle and spread to within 3cm (1in) of the long sides and to the edges of the short sides.
- Divide the sausage mixture in two and then, using a little flour to help, roll each into a sausage shape the same length as the pastry. Lay across the centre of each pastry rectangle. Lightly brush one long side of the pastry with a little water. Fold the pastry over the sausage meat, long side to long side, and carefully press together to seal.
- Cut the lengths of sausage roll into 7 x 5cm (2in) pieces. Space them well apart on a baking sheet. Lightly brush with the beaten egg, scatter with the nigella seeds and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve warm or cold with mustard and/or tomato sauce.
See more Christmas party food ideas