Dark chocolate orange mousse recipe
Try this dark, rich chocolate mousse with hints of orange. This is a lovely dessert to serve up for dinner parties and special occasions. See method
- 40g butter
- 150g plain dark chocolate
- 150g marshmallows
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp boiled water
- 150ml double cream, softly whipped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Put the butter, chocolate and marshmallows in a heatproof bowl, set over a pan of simmering water (but the bottom of the bowl not touching the water). Heat for 5 mins to soften.
- Meanwhile, cut 6 tiny wedges from the orange, then finely grate the zest from the remaining orange. Add the boiled water and grated orange zest to the chocolate mixture; heat and stir together for about 5 mins until everything is properly melted (the marshmallows tend to take longer than the chocolate).
- Remove the bowl from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Fold the cream and vanilla, if using, into the chocolate mixture and stir until the mixture is well combined. Pour and spoon into 6 glasses or cups and allow to cool completely. Decorate with the orange wedges to serve.
Tip: You can use low-fat crème fraîche or fromage frais instead of the cream if you want to reduce the calories! Try flavouring the mousse with fresh mint or topping it with strawberries.
See more Dessert recipes