Egg-free lemon sponge cake recipe
- 200g (7oz) self raising flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 200ml (7fl oz) milk
- 100ml (31/2fl oz) rapeseed oil
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
For the drizzle
- juice of 1 lemon
- 100g icing sugar
No self-raising flour? Add 2 tsp baking powder for every 150g plain flour
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Pre heat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Line and grease the base of a 1kg loaf tin with baking paper parchment paper. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer add the milk, oil, golden syrup, lemon juice and zest.
- Beat until the mixture looks like a smooth batter. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until when a skewer is inserted into the middle of the cake and it comes out clean. While the cake is cooking heat the lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- When you have removed the cake from the oven, whilst it’s still warm prick all over with a cocktail stick and drizzle half the syrup over the cake so that it soaks into the sponge. Reheat the remaining syrup to pour over the cake just before you are ready to serve.
See more Dessert recipes.