A twist on two classic dishes, this quick yet delicious breakfast is the ultimate indulgence. Cooking the bacon in the oven makes it extra crisp, but you can grill or fry it, if you prefer.
- Heat oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C.
- Line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Arrange the bacon on one side and the tomatoes, cut-side up, on the other side.
- Lay another sheet of nonstick baking paper over the bacon, then weigh down with a smaller tray or an ovenproof dish. Drizzle the tomatoes with the balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg with the milk and some salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan. Dip the crumpets in the eggy mixture, tuning to coat them. Once the butter is foaming, fry the crumpets for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Divide the crumpets between two plates, top with a handful of rocket and arrange the tomatoes on the side. Remove the tray or dish from on top of the bacon and, if you would like it even crispier, return to the oven for 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately, drizzled with any juices from the tomatoes.
See more Breakfast recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.