English crumpets with butter recipe
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 225g plain flour, sifted
- 150ml whole milk
- 150ml water
- 1 tsp dried fast-action yeast
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 50g butter
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Gently warm the milk and water together in a saucepan then pour into the well and whisk until you have a smooth, thick batter. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave the batter for 1 hour in a warm place.
- After 1 hour, stir the batter to knock out any air and transfer to a jug.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over a medium heat until hot. Add a little oil and wipe with a piece of kitchen paper to grease the whole pan. Place a crumpet ring in the centre and pour enough batter into it so that it comes about halfway up the sides. Reduce the heat and cook for 6-8 minutes until the surface is blistered all over with bubbles.
- Remove the ring and turn the crumpet over, letting is cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat this process until you have used all the batter, making sure you wipe the pan clean after each crumpet and re-grease the pan with vegetable oil in between making each one.
- Leave the crumpets to cool on a wire rack after each one is made.
- When ready to eat, toast the crumpets for 2-3 minutes in a toaster. Spread with knobs of butter and serve immediately.