‘Frankie’ and her boyfriend ‘Sam’, from our story, love a night out. But the best bit for ‘Sam’ is always chilling out back at home with a large helping of ‘Frankie’s’ Mediterranean baked eggs – a great late night breakfast and the ultimate comfort food to help ease next morning’s hangover!
- In a deep frying pan, heat the oil, add half the garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 20 seconds, then add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Tip in the tomatoes, sugar, chilli, cumin and oregano. Bring to a simmer then cook for 10 minutes, until thickened. Season to taste.
- Using a wooden spoon, make 4 holes in the mixture and crack an egg into each. Cover with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking*, and sprinkle over the parsley.
- Meanwhile, mix the yogurt with the lemon juice and remaining garlic. Season.
- Once the eggs are cooked, spoon onto warm plates and top with a dollop of the lemony yogurt.
Try serving with rustic crunchy bread to mop up all of the extra juices from the pan.
Mix any spare yogurt with chopped fresh herbs and diced cucumber to make a delicious dip for crisps or crudité.
*If serving vulnerable groups, elderly people, toddlers, pregnant women and people who are unwell, cook eggs until the whites and yolks are solid.