1. Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200° C, and line a baking sheet with nonstick baking paper.
2. Put the flour in a mixing bowl and use the tips of your fingers to rub in the diced butter until incorporated. Stir through 2 tbsp sugar and the sultanas.
3. Beat the egg in a jug and whisk in the milk. Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and add enough of the milk mixture to make a dough. Set the remaining milk mixture aside.
4. Lightly dust a clean worktop with flour. Gently roll out the dough to about 3cm thick, then stamp out rounds with a 7cm cutter. Transfer to the prepared tray; repeat to make 9 scones.
5. Brush the tops with the remaining milk mixture and sprinkle with the remaining demerara sugar. Bake for 14-16 mins, or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool a little before serving. The scones are best eaten the day they are made, but will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Scone recipes