You can still enjoy satisfying midweek meals when sticking to a gluten-free diet. These comforting pork meatballs are cooked in a rich, flavourful tomato sauce and served with gluten-free spaghetti, giving you a hearty main that's totally delicious and completely gluten-free.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180ºC, fan 160°C. Remove the sausage meat from the sausages and put into a bowl with the onion and garlic. Mix well to combine. Stir in the egg, the Parmesan, if using, and the breadcrumbs to bind the mixture together.
- Roll the mixture into 16 small balls and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the shallots and garlic for 2 minutes until softened. Add the celery, carrot and pepper and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Allow the vegetables to cool a little before blending into a purée with a hand held blender or in a food processor. Pour back into the pan and keep warm.
- To cook the meatballs, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry in batches for 5 minutes until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and then add to the sauce. Simmer the meatballs in the sauce for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve with cooked Free From spaghetti, a little grated Parmesan and a few basil leaves, if you like.
See more Gluten-free recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.