You can still enjoy satisfying midweek meals when sticking to a gluten-free diet. These comforting pork meatballs are cooked in a rich, flavourful tomato sauce and served with gluten-free spaghetti, giving you a hearty main that's totally delicious and completely gluten-free.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180ºC, fan 160°C. Remove the sausage meat from the sausages and put into a bowl with the onion and garlic. Mix well to combine. Stir in the egg, the Parmesan, if using, and the breadcrumbs to bind the mixture together.
- Roll the mixture into 16 small balls and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the shallots and garlic for 2 minutes until softened. Add the celery, carrot and pepper and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Allow the vegetables to cool a little before blending into a purée with a hand held blender or in a food processor. Pour back into the pan and keep warm.
- To cook the meatballs, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry in batches for 5 minutes until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and then add to the sauce. Simmer the meatballs in the sauce for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve with cooked Free From spaghetti, a little grated Parmesan and a few basil leaves, if you like.
See more Gluten-free recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.