Making the most of spring's most gorgeous asparagus, this creamy quiche will be right at home in your picnic hamper.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6 and put in a baking sheet to warm.
- Rub the butter into the flour with the salt until you have coarse breadcrumbs. Add water a little at a time using a round-bladed knife to mix until the mixture just comes together. Form into a ball, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile steam the asparagus until just tender to the point of a knife – about 4 minutes. Dry briefly on kitchen towel.
- Roll out the pastry and press it gently into a lightly greased flan tin. Prick all over with a fork and bake in the oven on the baking sheet for 20 minutes until pale gold.
- Spread the asparagus over the pastry base. Whisk together the eggs, yolk, cream, seasoning and cheese, then pour over the asparagus. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the filling is just set and lightly gold. Leave to cool.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.
See more Picnic recipes