Swap out your beef burger with this tasty vegetarian halloumi burger. This burger is topped with crunchy vegetables and rich houmous; making it both colourful and satisfying.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180° fan.
- In a large roasting dish, coat the sweet potatoes in the olive oil and 1 tsp sea salt and lay in a single layer. Bake in the oven for 1 hour, turning a few times during cooking.
- About 20 minutes before the chips are ready, sprinkle them with the remaining sea salt stir them about with a spatula and put them back in the oven.
- Slice the halloumi and coat in the 1 tbsp olive oil. Heat a large griddle pan to very high and fry the halloumi until charred lines appear, turn once and then take off and keep warm.
- If cooking on a barbecue, place on the hottest part of the barbecue and cook for 1-2 minutes, turning every 30 seconds, until charred lines appear. Take off the BBQ and keep warm.
- Slice the buns and grill until toasted. Assemble the burgers by spreading the houmous onto the bottom part of the buns, adding the halloumi, topping with the lettuce and tomatoes and finishing with the bun top. Serve with the chips.
Tip: A fish slice is really useful for turning the slices of halloumi.
See more Vegetarian recipes